Saturday, March 12, 2011

Best of the Best 16, March 12, 2011


I had a great competition. I won my division, Masters, which is great. I had two victories to get to the win, so that's good. After my two matches though, I was asked if I wanted to drop down to the younger group, to fill out the bracket. I felt good, so I gave it a shot.

I won 2 of 4 matches there and didn't give up a single point in all 6 of my matches....I lost by advantages.

I'm pretty proud of that showing. My guard never got passed, I was not taken down and I was never in any danger of being submitted at all.

What I did figure out is that I need to work on the entries to my throws and my bottom half guard game.

First, for my entries, they need to be deeper and more committed. During the match, being less committed feels safer, but you have to risk to get the reward of a nice, clean throw. I never fully committed and, as a result, lost some opportunities. In every match that I started from the top, I won easily. I have a solid top game, passes and control. I was less than 50/50 from the bottom.

Second, half guard. I have sweeps from there. I work them a lot. I need to work them with 270 lb men more often, because it's very different. I kept on my side fairly well for some of the time. I had some good movement and threateed some things, but in the end, I couldn't force a switch in position (I was tired, having already done plenty of matches).

As for my positives, I passed half guard very effectively using a Tackle Pass and Roger Gracie's pass to quarter guard posted by Trumpetdan.

No comments:

Post a Comment