Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Half guard, take II

So, I've diligently pulled half guard the majority of the time for a number of classes.

I still hate half guard, but I'm beginning to feel the common mistakes and I'm recognizing the common pass themes that people use. It's not actually that varied and if I avoid being cross-faced at all costs, I can usually make something happen.

I'm still new to it, so I'm taking a step by step approach.

1. Fight the cross face.

2. Get the under hook through a combination of shrimps, bridges and general annoyance.

This is where it tends to branch off. I can usually shoot low and start looking for the far side foot, but most people already know that sweep (thanks Matt). When they base out, I try to come to their back and then start rocking them, looking to either take the back or sweep them over my body. This is especially true if they "Wizzer" my underhook, because I can control their base.

If they are really pushing me down so that I can't come to my knees, I look to go deep half guard and start working to either an X-guard or Homer Simpson type sweep from there. See here for a break down on half guard by Aesopian.

If they try to switch their hips over me and start working the kimura game (to weaken my underhook), I start looking for the half butterfly hook and start trying to sweep them in the opposite direction.

Next, I need to start working on full butterfly guard reclamation and long distance half guard to X-guard or the standing in base sweep...I don't know what it's called.

So many of these things don't really have a name.

No comments:

Post a Comment