Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Got a stripe.

I had both a good and bad night tonight. I got a stripe and that's good. I got one stripe though and that's annoying to me.

Now, it's not the fault of the school. They've seen me for a total of three months and granted me a stripe, when others did not get one. I'm very appreciative. What bothers me is that I've been at this now for over two years. There are people (not at this school) that started after me and they have blue belts that are legitimate.

It just really makes me angry at my first school and the number that they pulled on me. It wasn't a total waste, but it probably only counts for about 5 months of training at a real school. It's a bit discouraging, but I have to put that behind me and just focus on what I've done here. It's a fresh start and I'll just have to focus on the positives...they noticed me and gave me credit for good work....and unlike my last school, where everyone got promoted on a regular schedule, my stripe means something here.

Tonight we worked on something I thought I knew pretty well, the scissor sweep. Of course, they showed more details than I'd ever seen on it before. Thankfully, it integrated quickly into what I'd already done....so it's nice that I'm far enough along to learn what they show very quickly, the first time, and I can spend the rest of the time getting reps to gain memory of it better.

We also worked on the arm bar from mount, and how to best set that up slowly and the triangle set up if they do the hitchhiker escape. I need to get my hips off the ground for triangles.

2 comments:

  1. I had a similar experience and "fell out of love" with BJJ myself. Good to see you got back in the saddle and reclaimed that passion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear that it worked out badly for you.

    I've been at my new school for about 9 months and have 4 stripes now (and a judo rank), so they have really take the efforts to recognize my progression.

    It was never really about rank for me, but rather, about feeling like I'd given years to something and none of them counted because I'd been lied to by another school.

    It's all better now and that bitterness is replaced by a joy of being in a school that is so good for me.

    ReplyDelete