Saturday, June 5, 2010

Things change, things stay the same.

So, in honor of the change in schools, I've reinstated the Thursday night BJJ gathering at my house. Call it show and tell. We get together, perhaps roll and I share the most recent techniques I've seen or have interest in.

We work together, everyone gets a say. It's good because we have a few new people to lean on for solid new techniques.

Anyway, I'm going to be competing a week from today...or yesterday (it's really early) in the Cornhusker State Games. I'm usually very much about going for a take down, but I'm concerned. Not about getting taken down, but about the mental aspect of being out of my comfort zone.

I've gotten very comfortable with guard and getting sweeps. A sweep is something that I can build off, psychologically. That gives me momentum in the match. Sure, a take down does too....but is my take down game safer than pulling guard? That's a good question.

While I get to practice guard all the time, my take downs are suspect and rarely used. Also, if I do get the take down, that starts me at a point in my game that is....well, not weak, but less certain. Maintaining top pressure, passing guard, not getting reversed or trapped in a half-guard game. I think I have tools there too....but honestly not the types of tools that excite me.

So, that's the big question. Do I pull guard? Tough call. I mean, the result would ultimately be the same as a take down, if I get the sweep....except that the bulk of my sweeps land me in mount or KOB position....much more dominant than a take down, which at best nets you side control (normally) or being stuck in their guard....

I think I'll discuss that with the "show and tell" group this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment