Saturday, November 6, 2010

After: Best of the Best


I had a good tournament today, doing well in my match for a gold medal.

I started with an uchi mata taken down, landing in half guard. I kept my pressure low and got my knee out of the half, setting up a knee cutter pass to the opposite side. After settling into side control to get my pass points, I jumped to knee on belly and held that for points, using it to transition to mount afterward by faking a baseball bat choke to get his arms high.

From mount, I kept moving up until I could isolate an arm across center line and took a technical mount. After trying to feed his collar or get the arm, I transitioned to his back and worked on gi chokes.

Ultimately, I won on points which was fine.

I need to work more on finishing from the back and on transitions from knee on belly. I jumped to mount fine, but I'm sure there was some other opening there that I missed.

What was ultimately the best part of the competition was getting to do very well directly in front of Rodrigo Vaghi and my fellow teammates. It led to Ed giving me my fourth stripe, which is a huge deal for me. It means that I'll likely be in the next crop of blue belts, which is a really big deal in Vaghi terms. He's notoriously stingy with belts and is very protective of the integrity of the art, which I can appreciate having come from a belt mill.

No comments:

Post a Comment