Friday, July 29, 2011

Cornhusker State Games 2011: BJJ

Not as successful of an outing for the BJJ event. First and foremost, the tournament was poorly run. Very poorly run. The most egregious example being that I was told I was done, given a medal and then, after I left, I was supposed to have more matches.

I fought outside of my weight class, for some reason, so I didn't get to enjoy fighting at the lower weight.

It was, overall, a terrible tournament experience.

All that said, I came away learning a few things.

1. Lose more weight. I need to be solid in my weight class and I've easily passed my original goal of 216. I'm at 207 now. That's reasonably close to the next lower weight class and even the one below that is within reach. I'd like to compete with someone that simply isn't that much bigger than me, so that even if I'm stuck on the bottom, I can move.

2. Work take downs. They are getting there, but need to be better.

3. Work half guard. I keep getting stuck there and need "go to" options.

No comments:

Post a Comment