Sunday, July 17, 2011

Cornhusker State Games 2011, Judo


I had a good time at the tournament today. The most important thing is that I didn't notice my rib at all. It didn't hinder my movement or cause me any issues at all. That's good to know for next week, my first BJJ tournament at blue belt.

I won today, so that's also great. I showed up, weighed in, and then found out that I was facing a judo black belt. Needless to say, being only a judo yellow belt, I felt some apprehension.

That being said, I did what I needed to do to be in a good position, not get thrown and ended up with the victory. I was attempting something we've been working on, which is to fake a foot sweep and then step through for an osoto gari. It worked well, allowing me to close the distance and to be in position for the throw, but he attempted to sacrifice reverse my position and landed squarely on his back. Though the call came late, it was an ippon victory and I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment